Friday, July 12, 2013

A beginning (of sorts)

I know I spoke of a new beginning when I started this blog and it was a beginning. It was just a different kind of beginning. I have made another jump in my life. I adjusted my contract with the company I was working for to let me be my own designer without strings. Much like Pinocchio.
My next step is to buy some red shorts and a giant, bow-tie. You know, I had forgotten how creepy Pinocchio looked. Disney was one strange S.O.B.

But don't despair. I am still set up with a couple of loyal clients that will keep be busy and keep me in Cap'n Crunch for a little longer. One of which I am currently working on her kitchen and will eventually get to work on her bedroom. We talked about doing it up as a Zen Retreat for her to relax in. She has amassed a great collection of furniture pieces over the years and it makes for a lot to work with.
The typical response when a client says "Zen" is to a Japanese style. Uncluttered to the point of Spartan with light woods, rice paper screens and combed gravel gardens. Nothing against that style of living or design (I LOVE Japanese style homes) but getting your client to put all their stuff away into little cabinets and behind screens is near impossible unless they have been doing it since they were 2.
Turning Japanese is not your only option when a client asks for Zen. Buddhism is a widespread religion with a lot of different iterations. For this bedroom, I am turning to more of a Balinese style.
I am using a hotel in Bali as inspiration and will show the client some images from their rooms as an example as to what we are trying to accomplish.   
The hotel is the Villa Mathis in Seminyak Bali. I have borrowed a couple of images from their website for you all to look at and hopefully take some of your own inspiration from.
Aside from the typical "Zen" look, this Balinese style has darker and more intricately carved wood pieces. It also allows for the use of fabric to soften the edges of the windows and doors. Traditionally, the fabric would be a form of mosquito netting --I have been to Bali and some of the bugs are bigger than children. Check out this posting from Michelle Maor. Last two pics. 
However, the wood doesn't have to remain all dark. I think the treatment of the mirror above actually helps to show off the amazing carving at the corners. This shows one way you can treat a piece of carved furniture to emphasize the special areas. Remember, if everything is special, then nothing is. Keep it light and use accent pieces as accents. 

I am looking forward to working on this bedroom for my client and looking forward to posting the pics here for you to check out. 

I promise to take lots of pics of my upcoming projects and post them here with some explanations as to why I did what I did. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment